Casey Anthony trial delayed by unexplained “legal issue”

How could anyone ruthlessly murder this adorable little girl and live with themselves afterward? TGO

Refer to story below. Source: Reuters

By Barbara Liston 

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – The Saturday session of Casey Anthony’s first-degree murder trial was scuttled by an unspecified “legal issue” announced by Judge Belvin Perry.

The delay could push back the end of the trial in which Anthony is accused of smothering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee on June 16, 2008 and hiding the body in the woods while claiming the little girl had been kidnapped by a nanny.

Asked to identify the legal issue which delayed the trial, neither defense lawyer Cheney Mason nor prosecutor Jeff Ashton would comment.

“I can’t tell ya,” Ashton said. Mason said nothing.

At the 9 a.m. trial starting time, the lawyers and Perry disappeared into a side room to talk in private. They emerged 40 minutes later for Perry to make the announcement to spectators and then to the jury in its holding room.

Earlier, the prosecution and defense lawyers argued about whether defense expert Dr. Kenneth Furton would be allowed to testify about opinions that were not disclosed to prosecutors in advance.

Perry said the “legal issue” which required Saturday’s recess was unrelated to the Furton issue.

Prosecutors say Anthony smothered Caylee with duct tape to free herself to “live the good life.” Prosecution evidence suggests she drove around for several days with Caylee’s body in her car trunk, then dumped the remains in the woods near the Anthony home outside of Orlando.

The child’s disappearance came to light on July 15, 2008 when Casey’s mother, Cindy Anthony, called 911. Cindy Anthony said she was frustrated because her daughter had made excuses for a month as to why she couldn’t see or speak to her granddaughter.

She said she became alarmed when she found Casey Anthony’s abandoned car at an impound lot, smelling to her and several other witnesses as if it contained a dead body.

Casey Anthony initially told detectives that Caylee had been kidnapped by a nanny and that she was searching for her daughter on her own. After a five-month nationwide search, Caylee’s body was discovered by a meter reader.

When the trial opened, defense lawyer Jose Baez told jurors that Caylee accidentally drowned in the family’s backyard pool, but that her death went unreported. He also claimed that Casey Anthony’s seemingly uncaring attitude while she partied in nightclubs was a result of a history of sexual abuse.

Saturday’s delay could push back the end of the trial which began with opening statements on May 24. Perry had expected to keep the court in session until at least mid-afternoon in order to end the testimony portion by the end of next week.

On Friday, Perry said he expected to be handing the case to the jury for deliberations late next Friday or on Saturday.

The trial will resume Monday at 8:30 a.m.

(Writing and reporting by Barbara Liston; Editing by Mary Wisniewski and Ellen Wulfhorst)

One response

  1. Destiny, it is still and perhaps will always be, a mystery.


Comments please...

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 137 other followers

%d bloggers like this: