The man pictured below is Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the accused mastermind of the September 11 attacks. Doesn’t he look like a peaceful man? After all, we are told that Islam is a peaceful religion. Forgetting who he is for the moment, I wonder how many of you would invite this guy over to your house for dinner? I know, I know, racial profiling is not cool. Yet I would venture to say that members of the ACLU who theoretically oppose racial profiling wouldn’t feel terribly comfortable sitting next to this character on an airplane at 30,000 feet. TGO
Refer to story below. Source: Associated Press
NEW YORK – Opposition to the government’s plans to hold the Sept. 11 terrorist trial in New York City intensified Thursday, one day after Mayor Michael Bloomberg revealed he had changed his mind and now hoped the trial would be held elsewhere.
Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., said he has introduced a bill that would prohibit the use of Justice Department funds to try Guantanamo detainees in federal civilian courts. Hours later, New York Gov. David Paterson said he wants discussion with federal officials on the issue of venue.
Last month, the Obama administration announced that professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four others would be tried in federal court in lower Manhattan.
The New York congressman called it “one of the worst decisions ever made by any president,” and said terrorist suspects should be tried by military commissions.
Bloomberg said he called Attorney General Eric Holder on Thursday to lobby for moving the trial outside lower Manhattan.
They spoke Thursday afternoon; both sides declined to comment afterward.
Bloomberg initially supported the Manhattan trial decision, declaring: “It is fitting that 9/11 suspects face justice near the World Trade Center site, where so many New Yorkers were murdered.”
But the mayor this week reversed from what he said in November, when the Obama administration announced its plans.
“There are places that would be less expensive for the taxpayers and less disruptive for New York City,” Bloomberg said Thursday.
In addition, six senators on Tuesday wrote to Holder and urged him to abandon the idea.
The letter read, in part, “You will be providing them one of the most visible platforms in the world to exalt their past acts and to rally others in support of further terrorism.”
It was signed by Senators Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut; John McCain, Republican of Arizona; Blanche L. Lincoln, Democrat of Arkansas; Susan M. Collins, Republican of Maine; Jim Webb, Democrat of Virginia; and Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina.
Paterson said that although he’s certain New York City will be safe, he thinks there should be a discussion with federal officials over whether to move the trial.
“I think that everyone should know that I think the federal government, law enforcement and military are very capable and I’m sure that they will keep New York safe during that period of time,” Paterson said on ABC-TV’s “The View.”
But “we still have other challenges. It’s going to cost an immense amount of money, it’s going to tie up traffic, it’s going to destroy the economic development that’s been recovered in lower Manhattan,” Paterson said. “Every time there is a loud noise during the two years of those trials it’s going to frighten people, and I think New Yorkers have been through enough.”
“We were the epicenter of the attack on this country on Sept. 11, and in my opinion maybe we all need to sit down and see if there isn’t another venue that would enhance the public safety of that area, which went through probably the worst attack this country has ever sustained.”
Associated Press writers Michael Gormley in Albany, N.Y., and Sara Kugler in New York City contributed to this report.